I just got back from the IDC Directions 2015 conference in Boston. The good news is I didn’t get snowed in, the bad news is it was “wicked cold” for a southern girl. IDC took us beyond the 3rd Platform into the innovation zone. Like Alice taking that fall down the rabbit hole and ending up in unfamiliar territory, the innovation zone takes us to a place where everything as a service (EaaS) is just about possible – whether it is cognitive computing, data analytics or the Internet of Things as a backend service. We have definitely moved beyond just software as a service.
The conference offered eight different tracks including cloud, big data, innovation accelerators and my personal favorite: mobile. It’s always good to spend a day listening to experts and hearing their predictions – even better going back next year to see if they were right!
Here are my top 10 mobile takeaways:
- In 2014, 60 percent of companies have three or fewer applications that have been mobilized.1
- Around 30 percent of mobile applications are failures, and most mobile applications fail due to security concerns and issues linked to the backend systems.1
- Companies that have deployed three or more mobile applications are three times more likely to have an API strategy.2
- Companies listed their most trusted suppliers as mobile operators and device OEM vendors –software vendors were further down the list.2
- China downloaded 17 percent of the global total of downloaded applications in 2014.1
- IDC predicts that by 2015 the average company will have 12 applications mobilized compared to 4 in 2013 and 4.7 in 2014.1
- Google Android for Work resonates within the BYOD enterprise.3
- IDC predicts that Chromebook will expand beyond K-12.3
- Microsoft HoloLens is cool (need to check that one out!).
- Things move fast and change even faster in the innovation zone.
So like the Queen of Hearts said to Alice, “My dear, here we must run as fast as we can, just to stay in place. And if you wish to go anywhere you must run twice as fast as that.” Lace up those running shoes and get in the zone.
1 IDC, “Evolving App Architectures and the Next Wave of Business Agility,” Doc #DR2015_T3_JJ, March 2015
2 IDC, “The Mobile Application Ecosystem in a Post-API Economy World,” Doc #DR2015_T3_AK, March 2015
3 IDC, “Next Generation Mobile Devices: New Devised, New Jobs to Be Done,” Doc #DR2015_T3_TM, March 2015